Sunday, January 13, 2013

Special Teams


     I realized I didn’t rank the Iowa special teams in my previous blogs.  I apologize to the special teams, I just forgot about you.  Anyway here is my rant on Iowa special teams.  For the most part I thought they were really good this year.
     The kicking game was for the most part solid all the way around for Iowa in 2012. Mike Meyer was named a Lou Groza semifinalist after making 14 of his first 15 attempts, though he finished just 3-of-6.  The last six kicks weren’t representative of the season.  They were long attempts and the kicking conditions were bad.  I give a lot of credit to Mike Meyer.  He prevented Iowa from going 2-10.  Had he not made the fifty yard kick at Soldier Field, Iowa would have lost to Northern Illinois.  Had he not gone 4-4 against Michigan State, including 2 overtime kicks, Iowa would have lost.  Tip of the hat to Mike Meyer.
     The Hawkeyes were among the best in the Big Ten in punt and kick coverage.  This was just good technique and no missed assignments.  I am proud of them.  Unfortunately, the opponents we able to march the ball 80+ yards consistently.
     Iowa was third in kickoff returns thanks to some nice work by Jordan Cotton.  This late bloomer really provided magic to a dead second half season.  I hope he comes back stronger and faster than ever.  We need a play maker.
     Punting was lacking as Iowa finished just 10th in the league in punt average.  This is a misleading figure.  Often times, Iowa punted at the 50 yard line.  They had three punts downed at the half yard line.  I think they did fine.
     Punt returns sucked.  There was no explosiveness.  We might as well have just called for a fair catch every time.  There was no blocking, and Micah Hyde was not the right person to return punts.  Poor job.
     Overall I give the Hawks an A-.  There were excellent aspects to special teams this year but some areas lacked.  Next year looks bright for the Hawkeye’s special teams, as many of them are young.
(355)

No comments:

Post a Comment